The rocking chair I had as a child is still around; it started life as a red chair with a splint seat and was well-used. When I was in high school (what can I say; I've always thought this chair was cute) I painted it yellow and since we've lived in this house, it's been in the barracks.
The night the girls were here, we were all settled in for bedtime stories. Emma was in my lap in the big rocker, Ellie was in the little rocker, and E.W. was on the floor next to her. Just as I started the first book, there was a cracking noise. The splint seat, already in bad shape, had given way under Ellie's little tiny self. She looked most alarmed, certain she'd broken something. We assured her that the chair was old and that she hadn't done anything wrong. She found another spot and story time continued.
I did want the kids to be able to use the little rocker, though, and I thought I could make it work. After a quick paint job (CeCe Caldwell vintage white and clear wax), it was time to tackle weaving the new seat for the chair. A YouTube search yielded a thorough tutorial for weaving rush, so I felt ready, especially since I was really just doing this to see if I could. If I'd known I was going to be using white rope, I probably would have painted the chair a bright color. Guess stitching up a colorful seat cushion is next...
It's not perfect, but it's good enough and should last through another generation or two!