Thursday, October 13, 2016

A little boredom, please.

After watching the weather channel nonstop, 
praying for the millions affected by the hurricane, 
and hosting our own evacuee, a new week dawned. 
Thankfully, the rest of the week is shaping up to 
be low key and perhaps, even boring, because
the first half of the week was wild  
(but did provide opportunities for gratitude 
although not always in the moment).

A nail in my tire had to be repaired before I could leave for Kate's.
I'm grateful that I discovered it before leaving
 and grateful to E.W. for getting it repaired.

Mama fell and nicked her head on a chair; it was bleeding,
of course, so they had to send her to ER at Eisenhower.
I'm grateful that I was at Kate's so only two hours away, 
that she's living in a place where she can get immediate 
help, that the scan was clear, and that she only
 required one staple in the back of her head.

I spent the night with her since we didn't leave ER until ten.
I'm grateful for an impromptu slumber party 
and that I had my pillow in the car.

My niece's almost-six-year-old had jammed a crayon
in his ear last Thursday and punctured his eardrum.
I'm grateful that he had access to 
medical help and a competent surgeon.

Sister Sue broke two of her toes.
I'm grateful the breaks were not as bad as they could have been.

On the way home from Kate's I realized the air conditioning
wasn't working, so I rode home with the windows open.
About an hour into the trip, I smelled that burned electrical odor
and thought, great, the air not working was just an indicator
that the car was about to die.
I'm grateful that about a mile further down the road, 
I saw the truck that was the source of the odor. 

The last half of that trip featured warmer temperatures,
a strange squeaking in the back of the car, and a realization
that I had no idea how loud the trucks on the interstate are.
Oh, and a trailer in front of me blew two tires
and wobbled in a terrifying manner.
I'm SO grateful to have made it home with 
everything intact except the air conditioning 
and my nerves, and that the AC did not require a major repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Click HERE to jump to the most recent post!