Friday, June 6, 2014

Slated!

Flooring began this week. We started with this: 

"brick" vinyl - an awesome choice in 1990

by the door

into the laundry room


Tuesday morning, this was a welcome sight:


After a full day of installing backer board, measuring, and remeasuring, Tuesday afternoon left the floor ready for the slate:


Wednesday a lot of cuts were made and slate installation began! Didn't realize what a difficult process it would be, given the various thicknesses and uneven nature of slate. 


They moved out of the laundry room and into the kitchen Thursday...starting to look good!


By Friday afternoon, the slate* was down. It still needs to be grouted and sealed next week (which will darken it), but so far, we are lovin' it. Also next week? Countertops!



*Why slate? 
My grandmother told me many stories about her grandfather, who, at the age of 18, immigrated to America from Blaenau Ffestiniog in North Wales, where his family (and most families) worked in the slate industry. He found his way to Rockmart (technically the Van Wert Community), Georgia, where he bought a tract of land and worked his own slate quarry. My grandmother gave me a frame that was theirs; it's made of slate and is engraved "Cymru am byth", which is the Welsh motto: Wales Forever. It probably will sound weird to most folks, but I sort of feel like I'm honoring part of my heritage by incorporating slate in my home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Click HERE to jump to the most recent post!