Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Day Trip!

A long time ago, in a land far away (Kansas), a group of Brats bonded during sophomore year of high school. At the end of the school year, the Army sent their dads to other assignments, and eventually the bond came undone. Two of the Brats were Terri and me.

Pendy and Terri
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, 1968

Most of us married, some had children, and in general, just lived our lives. Enter Facebook. I began searching for some of those friends: Bea, Kay, Lois, and Terri among them. One by one, I rounded them up (along with a couple of 'townies' from those days) and we have so enjoyed reconnecting online. We are still scattered across the country; Terri lives in Alaska and I'm in Georgia. Never thought I'd see her again, but she's been visiting her daughter who now lives near Savannah. I figured if she could get from Alaska to Georgia, the least I could do is drive across the state! 

So this morning, I did just that. Although we haven't seen each other in about 45 years, we picked right up and had so much fun together. 



 

Apparently we are still just as silly as a pair of high school sophomores. 


We drove to Savannah for lunch and spent the drive getting caught up on things that you don't share on Facebook. Our lunch was delicious (shrimp and grits for me, crab cobb salad for Terri) and the weather was just right for a walk on River Street.


It was a lot of miles but SO worth it. I'd do it again in a minute to see an old friend.


4 comments:

  1. The upside of being a military Brat has been our ability to form fast friendships that even after decades enables us to pick up like we had just talked yesterday. I love seeing the pictures of you two now and yesteryear. I hope our paths will cross again in the future.---Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our paths cross again, too, Lois. You are so right about forming fast friendships.

      Delete
  2. sounds like FUN! ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Click HERE to jump to the most recent post!