Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Help

I read The Help when it came out in 2009 (recommended by Karin Gillespie) and was blown away.  In 2010, it was a Bluestocking selection and I read it again, gladly. Hosting that meeting was so much fun: planning the menu, setting the table, and making everyone an apron!  The Help was a unanimous favorite and we were delighted to learn that it was going to be a movie.
  
Read the book!
It's not often that a movie lives up to the book upon which it is based.  To Kill A Mockingbird is one that does.  The Help is another.  The casting is brilliant, the set amazing, and the wardrobe perfect.  Readers of the book will recognize all of the important scenes and will appreciate new ones that follow the spirit of the book.  It's worth seeing at least once (twice so far for me).  
Go see the movie!
I honestly believe that The Help, both book and movie, are future classics.

Side Notes:
  • Bryce Dallas Howard has acting chops to rival her dad's.
  • The sofa in Hilly's house is the same as the one in my mama's house, although with a different fabric.
  • Loved seeing the Fostoria American glasses on the tables at meal time.
  • Did anyone else notice that Nate Berkus was listed as an Executive Producer?

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I saw the movie last Weds. with a girlfriend!! LOVED it. I am ordering a book from Amazon next!
    A book club with the book?
    Love your idea!
    P.S. Didn't notice the bit about Nate! COOLIO!
    HUGS and blessings!
    ~me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie is definitely on my must see list! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Click HERE to jump to the most recent post!