Monday, February 22, 2010

The Home in Our House

I've written before about connecting elements in our home with the past (HERE and HERE). Recently I came across a very old picture of my great-grandparents' home in East Point (and a bonus...just because I love these portraits...here's what Luther and Carrie Wright looked like in 1903).



Back to their home...of course the house is no longer there; even when I was a child the neighborhood was changing into a commercial area. If you look closely on the right side of the picture, you will see a porch swing. I wonder if this is the one that my cousins and I nearly wore out! Fortunately, when it was time for the house to be torn down, my dad was able to take away some mementos of the home in which he was born and lived with his parents and older sisters until he was three.


Look again and you will see windows on either side of the front door. The top part of the windows were removed by my dad and layers upon layers of paint were removed by my mama. My folks used them in their home for a time; when we built our house they gave them to us. The one shown here is between the hall and the living room; the other is between the hall and the dining room.



You can't see their living room in that old photograph, but daddy removed the mantle and spent months stripping and refinishing it. Like the windows, they gave it to us when we built our home. Although it was too small to use for the wood-burning fireplace, we knew just where to put it.



Bits and pieces of those who shaped our personal history help to make our house a home. What bits of those who've gone before add to the 'home' in your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Click HERE to jump to the most recent post!